The winner of the Carolyn Barnes Poetry Contest will receive a $75 award.
Applicants must be English majors either in their senior undergraduate
year or in the first year of the Master’s program. Applicants must be
officially registered as full-time BYU students (12 credit hours) at the
time of application. If a recipient changes his or her major, he or she
forfeits the award.
About the Award
Dr. Jim Barnes, Distinguished Professor of Creative Writing and English,
has made a generous contribution to the BYU English Department to
establish the Carolyn Barnes Poetry Award as a memorial to his late and
beloved wife, Carolyn.
- Only one entry per contestant. Up to three poems may be submitted per entry, totalling 100 lines, maximum.
- Winner may be notified via telephone and E-mail. All others will receive E-mail notification only.
- Names must not appear on any manuscripts submitted.
- Winner will be required to submit a W-9 form before monetary award is issued.
- One winner will receive $75 award.